Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My Place

    Wow, I can't believe how long it has been since I have written. Alot has happened since I wrote last. I have been volunteering at a Physical Therapy place here in Tulsa. I got a job at Finish Line. Not exactly what I wanted but a job is a job! I had the pleasure of getting to see all my Sterling baseball friends in Tulsa when they beat up on top ranked Rogers State! Enjoyed the unusual 60 degree weather. Watched as two of my best friends fell in love which was so exciting to see. And last but certainly not least saw my dad actually jump for joy as his team beat # 1 Pawnee in the Regional finals. 




    Do you have that one place that you can go and everything seems to click for you. That place where everything seems to make sense and where you understand everything that is going on around you. That place where you can sit for hours and think by yourself. That place where you have been since you were to  young to remember. Well I have one of those places. That place that can take me back to the glory days or just clear my head and help me get back to the person I want to be. My magical place is the Chisholm High School gym. Now I know what you are thinking. O that makes sense she loves basketball. Nope thats not even the main reason I love going there. Its familiar, its a place of family, its a place of past and present, its a place where no one bothers me. Ever since I could drive I have been sneaking out to the gym by myself. Turn my music loud, and forget about all the troubles around me. There is something about shooting baskets that calms me. It may be the repetition, or the muscle memory that I don't have to think about anything that does it. The one thing I know going to the gym takes me back to the days in my past where I was a better me. Yah Yah your thinking I'm reliving the days of actually playing basketball in that gym huh!? Wrong again. I was practically born in that gym. I have ate slept and played in that gym since I was born. So many of my memories come from there. My mom would pick my pacifier off of the gym floor and stick it back in my mouth. I have tagged along to practices with my dad since I was able to walk. I learned how to play the game I love there. I had my first kiss in that gym. It's the place where both sides of my family can get together and cheer for a person they both love. I have seen triumphs, tragedies, and heartbreaks. After prom, where me and all of my friends played games and won prizes. Graduation caps flying in the air, packed house for wheat capital tournaments, meeting one of my best friends when I was 5 years old there. Kelcy and I getting dressed alike for games, and then switching places on our parents, because we looked so much alike. I could go on for hours about all of the memories I have in that place and most of them don't even have anything to do with basketball. But one of my favorite moments that happened last weekend when I went home for the Regional tournament. After the last game on Friday, I went down on the floor like I have since I was 2 years old to shoot around. And soon after that my dad came over and started rebounding for me. Doesn't seem like much, but we hadn't done this since I was in high school. It was the best feeling to have him there caring even though I don't play anymore. I know he always said " I don't even care if you play basketball. Do what you want to do." but the love of the game just came naturally from being in my place for so long and seeing how much he loves the game. So thanks dad for just being a coach. Not even my coach. Because even though you didn't yell at me or push me the way I always begged you to do, I pushed my self just as hard. And because of you I will always love the game and my place.

2 comments: