Thursday, February 18, 2010

Pure At Heart

     Sometimes I wish that I could go back about 17 years. Back to where everything was so clear. So simple and easy. Back before this world tore so much away from us. Today, I met Landon, an amazing 6 year old hopeless romantic. I was getting my phone fixed today when he an his mother walked in. He waited so patiently chatting away to his mother until I felt a tap on my arm. Landon reached out for a hand shake."Hello, my name is Landon. What is your name." He sounded so proper and had the sweetest little grin. This is what I learned about Landon after our short introduction. 
"Do you know how to make spaghetti?"...."You put the noodles in a biiiiiggg pan with the water then put on the sauce. You can even add big meat balls if you want." I was pretty sure this kid knew more about cooking then I did! But he just continued on without a pause. Landon said with out breathing. "I am six and I am in first grade. I don't go to school though. I just stay home, and I have a batman leap frog laptop." Then he referenced a movie in which they talked about batman. Then Landon said the most adorable thing in the world."I have a girlfriend. Her name is Rachel. We sing together in choir and from the second I saw her I knew that I loved her." It made me want to melt right there in my chair. It made me what to give this kid a hug and say don't lose your innocence. Then it made me hurt, because I knew that the world would tear that away from him in just a few years. It seems like kids are being forced to grow up sooner and sooner these days just to keep up with the world. I wish we could keep that pureness of heart all of our lives. I wish that innocence lasted forever but the real world is beckoning so to be able to see just a glimpse of that in the eye of a child for a few minutes today was a real blessing. 


One last thing! Do you remember that first crush. That first time a boy/girl asked for your number. Do you remember running back to your friends/ sisters to tell them all about it, all the details and you blushing all giggling together. Today, I got my first boy moment with my little sister. Right after school was out I got a text from my 10 year old little sister saying guess what! " My crush got my phone number today. He just flat out ask me for it!" I could hear the excitement right through the screen! She has liked this boy for about 2 years now and he finally makes the move! :) I'm so happy she includes me in her life. Sister moments are something I never got in my life. So to have her here to make up for all those sisterless years is a dream come true! I love you sissy!


P.S. Landon also tells jokes. " You are driving a bus. 4 people get on 16 people get off. 4,390 get on and 1,234 people get off. 2 Million people get on and 3 get off. What color are the bus drivers eyes?..... Do you know the answer!?...... YOU are the bus driver dummy :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment